Saturday, December 19, 2009

Weigh In and What's on the Menu



Weigh In went okey dokey.  I was down .4 which is tolerable.  I was talking to hubby earlier and realized I haven't gained, or even stayed the same since I started with Weight Watchers.  It's been a steady gradual decline in my weight and I am grateful for that, especially because I am not always the best at eating what is good for me.  My next goal is my 10% and that is looming.  I would like to speed it up, but with the holidays, I kinda doubt thats gonna happen. 

So what's on the menu...?  Tonite, I am going to do Jumbo Prawns with Lobster Stuffed Portobellos and Wild Rice.  Asparagus on the side.

Tomorrow, I am making Lentil Soup with Sausage and Greens.  This sounds so stinking good.















Ingredients

For 10 servings

1 pound Italian-style turkey sausage
1 tbls Olive Oil
1 medium Onion - chopped
1 clove Garlic - minced
1 large Carrot - finely chopped
1 cup Lentils - Brown lentils
15 ounces chicken broth - one can
4 cups Water
15 ounces stewed tomatoes;
1/2 teaspoon Thyme - crushed, dried
2 teaspoons Rosemary - finely minced fresh
2 cups Red potato - one large, 1/2 inch cubes
4 cups Kale or collards - rough chopped
1 pinch kosher salt - to taste
1 pinch Red pepper - to taste

Instructions

1. Put the sausages in a soup pan with the olive oil; brown on all sides over medium heat. Cover the pan and cook, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes, or until cooked through. Pierce the sausages and let them drain a bit in the pan, then remove and set aside. When cool enough to handle, cut into thin slices. 2. Put the onion, garlic and carrot into the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the lentils, broth, water, tomatoes, thyme and rosemary. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes. 3. Add the potatoes and continue cooking the soup, covered, at least 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. 4. Stir in the sausage. Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add 3 cups of greens and cook and additional 5 minutes. 5. Adjust seasoning with salt and red pepper flakes to taste. Serve garnished with a garnish of greens on top. I made sourdough garlic bread with this and it was delicious.

Adapted from recipe by CeCe Sullivan of The Seattle Times. Each (1 1/2 cup) serving contains an estimated: Cals: 213, FatCals: 54, TotFat: 5g SatFat: 2g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 2g Chol: 24mg, Na: 627mg, K: 690mg TotCarbs: 26g, Fiber: 9g, Sugars: 4g NetCarbs: 17g, Protein: 15g Analysis does not include the garlic bread

Not my recipe (obviously) nor my picture.  I found both on BigOven.com.   I am going to do a little tweaking, like I can probably do without the olive oil,  but I don't think much will be necessary.  This is a good diabetic recipe and that usually means its a good food. 

Later this week, I am going to do Dirty Rice Stuffed Collard Greens.  I will take pics of those.  Got that recipe from Food Network (the Neeleys). 

And Christmas dinner is going to be a rotisseried roast with garlic mashed potatoes and a yet to be determined vegetable. 

Doesn't sound half bad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment