Saturday, June 26, 2010

Weigh In and Unhappy Gypsie!

I have this damned pound that sticks to me like gum on my shoe and is every bit as irritating!  Weigh in today I was up .8.  Now, mind you, that's not much, but it just won't go away and I really have no one to blame but me.  (If I could blame YOU, I would feel so much better.)  Part of the problem is that its summertime.  In the wintertime, I can pop open a can of soup and be happy and satisfied and not be packing on the pounds.   In the summer, its more difficult for me because everything seems to take so much effort (even making salads is a chore if I have to make them every stinking night!). So, my leader challenged me to find a "go to" food that I can turn to in the summer like I do soup in the winter.  I am working on some things, new recipes that I can, hopefully, make on the weekends that will last me through the week for my lunches, at least.    I have also made a couple of purchases that I will fill you in on as I try them.

Today, in the recipe search process, I found this salad that is really, really good and pretty easy.  It would have been a cake walk actually except I had to cut some corn off a cob to use for the "corn" part of the ingredients.  I had other corn, but I didn't want to throw this cooked ear away and had no other particular use for it.  Still no big deal.   But look at this:



And it tastes every bit as bright as it looks.  Its still chilling in the fridge cause you want it to get good and cold, but it will go so well with dinner tonite.  It will go on my permanent rotation. 
Kidney Bean Salad

POINTS® Value: 3
Servings: 6

Ingredients

3 1/2 cup(s) canned kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 large corn on the cob (1 cup corn kernals.  I assume this would be frozen, cooked in advance or canned, drained)
1 cup(s) scallion(s)
2 cup(s) canned tomatoes with green chilies (Ro-Tel)
1/4 cup(s) fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp sugar
1 cup(s) cooked brown rice  (I used a cup of my Royal Rice Blend here, cause I am a rice snob)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (this was not in the original recipe, but I found the salad need "something" and it was the "something" I had on hand.  If you don't like cilantro, you might try parsley or another green herb that you really like)

Instructions

In a large bowl combine beans, corn, rice, green onions, cilantro and Ro-Tel; set aside. In a 1-cup measure combine remaining ingredients; pour over bean mixture. Toss to coat. Chill 3 to 4 hours before serving. Serves 6. (Depending how big a portion you are looking at here, I think this will serve more than 6!)

No comments:

Post a Comment