Sunday, April 4, 2010

Low Point Italian Food?!!

I found a good looking recipe online yesterday and did a little finessing it.  It came out sooo good.  I am not a big pasta fan so I think I really liked it because the pasta content was minimal. 

Pasta Bake

POINTS® Value: 3

Servings: 8

Ingredients
1 pound(s) Laura's Lean Beef® 96% Lean Ground Round
1/2 medium Vidalia onion(s)
2 cup(s) mushroom(s), sliced
1 item(s) bell pepper(s)
30 oz Del Monte Petite diced tomatoes in brine, seasoned with basil, garlic & oregano, 2 15 oz cans, drained
1 Tbsp canned tomato paste
1 Tbsp McCormick Oregano leaves
1 Tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp black pepper
1 cup(s) Weight Watchers Reduced-Fat Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
4 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
2 serving(s) Dreamfields Rotini

Instructions

Bring a pot of water to boil and add 1 1/2 cups of Dreamfields Rotini. Cook until not quite done, a firmer al dente. This is going to cook in the oven a bit so you don't want pasta mush.

In the meantime, dice onion and bell pepper. In a good sized non-stick skillet (cause you are gonna need some room to work here!), added ground beef, onion, bell pepper and mushrooms and spices. As always, spice to your taste. I list what I like and use, but that does not limit you in anyway. Cook on medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is translucent. Drain 2 15 oz cans of petite diced tomato and add to meat mixture. Add 1 tbls of tomato paste. Mix thoroughly.

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Drain and add in pasta. Mix and pour mixture into large casserole dish.

Sprinkle top with cheeses and pop into the oven for about 30 to 35 minutes.

I served this with a green side salad. Yummy and Low in Points!!

I didn't get a picture of this, but it was quite attractive as well as tasty.  I don't know if you can find all the name brands I have cited here, but three of them are important toward keeping the points low.  Laura's Lean Beef is carried at our local Fry's Stores (Krogers) as is the WW Mozarella and the Dreamfields Pasta.  The Dreamfields pastas are specially formulated for diabetics. This formulation with a low glycemic index factor makes this ideal for my limited carb consumption.  I am not diabetic, but I don't do carbs well.  1 serving of the Dreamfields pasta, 3/4 cup dry Rotini in this case, is only 3 points.  Gotta love it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment