Friday, July 16, 2010

Junkie Thinking

Today I posted a comment on  Debbies' Site about junkie thinking.  I didn't coin this phrase.  It is used commonly on a Quit Smoking message board I frequent and relates to the constant mental assault of our desire, and yes, I will say it, addictive minds to do what we know is incredibly bad for our bodies to satisfy that craving whether it is for cigarettes or potato chips. 

I smoked cigarettes for 37 years and was smoking almost 3 packs a day when I decided it was time to quit.  As I proceeded in my journey, the barrage of thoughts telling me it would be "Ok to just smoke one!" or "You're never gonna do this, just quitting kidding yourself and light up!" were constant and I will tell you now, quitting smoking was undoubtedly the most difficult thing I have ever done in my whole life and my own "junkie thinking" was probably my worst enemy!  We can be, and usually are, the only reason for our failures. You can stick a bowl of ice cream in front of me but unless you tie me, prop my jaw open and force feed it to me, you can not be held responsible for what I choose to do with that ice cream.  I am responsible for what I do with that ice cream, and ultimately, what that ice cream is going to do to me.

When you are feeling derailed, stop for a minute and think about the voices in your head. No you are not demented, you are probably like most overweight folks myself included, a food addict. Maybe not by medical definition, but by carefully analyzing your situation, I would bet you a donut that you experience that "junkie thinking" too, the voice that tells you tomorrow is soon enough to start and "What the hell, you can't win."  Quit listening to that voice.  If you ignore it long enough, it does go away eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment