Friday, January 29, 2010

Dinner was Wondermus!!

Ok, this was wonderful dinner!!  Diver Scallops (get the ones from Costco, they have no chemical additives), rice from heaven, and sweet white corn.  I know, sounds like lots of starch between the corn and the rice, but I need the fiber right now and I love corn!!  Let's see if I can figure out how to put some pics in here.  Start with these ingredients.  They are for the marinade.
















Notice the pineapple can is opened.  That's cause I started making the marinade before I started taking pics!!  I will post the recipe at the end of this.  Anyway, you make the marinade out of the pineapple juice, some chili sauce, a little ketchup, honey and a teaspoon of oil.  Also some minced garlic and a little salt.  Now, next time I make this, I will reduce this until it is much thicker and use it to not only marinade, but baste.  This is a little thin. I think the flavors would be soooo much better concentrated down.  It also makes alot of marinade and I was only making 8 diver scallops.  So you will want to play with it.  The flavor combinations can't be beat tho'. 

Oh, here is my minced garlic.  I have learned so much from Food Network and I still have all my fingers. 
















So mix all of this together and this is what you wind up with.
















Arrange your diver scallops in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over them.  This will marinade a couple of pounds of scallops, seriously, so don't be afraid that you won't have enough!!  Marinade for 15 minutes or so.

In the meantime, get your rice ready.  In a sauce pot, bring 2 cups of water and a couple of teaspoons of salt to a boil.  Add one cup of this wonderful stuff:



This is the best rice!!  It's also stupidly expensive, like somewhere between $6 and $8 for this jar, but so worth it.  And its still 3 points per cup and again, worth ever luscious bite.  When the scallops are practically point free, its an easy trade off.

Anyway, add the rice, reduce the heat and cover.  Cook for approximately 15-20 minutes on low medium until fluffy. 

Lastly, prepare your frozen corn kernels.  I just put them in a bowl, put them in the microwave and push the magic frozen vegetable button.  If you have a bettter or preferred way, have at it.

About 5 minutes before your rice should be done, put your scallops on the grill.  I have an indoor electric grill that is perfect for this, but they can go outside.  If you like, skewer them or put them in a BBQ basket.  3 minutes on each side should have them beautifully done.  If you like, grill some pineapple rings while you're at it.  Yum.

It all kinda looks like this when you are through.   I am so full and it was so good, it was almost criminal.





Ok, so the marinade recipe calls for:

1/2 cup of pineapple juice
1/3 cup of chili sauce (I use sriracha)
1 tbsp ketchup
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

Mix thoroughly.  This is theoretically enough marinade for 1 lb of scallops and 1 lb of shrimp for Kebabs.

And the butter looking stuff on my rice, between the pineapple rings, is some Brummel and Brown, which I love dearly.  Buying stock soon.


1 comment:

  1. That is my kinda dinner- be right over! lol I luv Brummel and Brown! YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete